Re: TB: Pests: Discouraging Cats

Jeff,

I think the problem keeping cats out with the Cholla branches was the way I
used them.  I used full length pieces (mostly 3 to 6 ft long) and the
branching structure is open enough that the cats just walk around between
them.  In fact it makes a nice place for cats (and rabbits) to hide from
dogs!  If I cut them up more and laid them thickly enough, the cats would
avoid them too, or at least they'd have to tippytoe between them and
wouldn't be likely to use the beds as a toilet.   As it happened, cats
weren't my problem at the time, it was the neighbor's dogs that were
running wild and were even destroying my greenhouses (they were climbing up
the plastic almost as if they were cats and running around on the roof -
about gave a heart attack the first time they got up there when I was
inside - it was dark, and I had no clue what was going on).

Regardless, the Cholla branches didn't bother the Iris and other plants at
all, and looked a bit weird, but not all that bad.

Dave