Re: Re: phonetic pronunciation

In a message dated 2/23/05 1:50:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, konde@delfi.lt
writes:

<< To disclaim opinion that modern English has claim to correctness of
 pronunciation of Latin as confirm Mrs. Anner [...] As it is name of Greek
 goddess in the Greek language it is pronounced also as I-ris. In the site
which was given by Mrs. Anner according to iris I found correct pronunciation
only one name-"sibirica" and as lover of siberians I am quite satisfied with
it. >>

Edmondas, if I have understood you correctly, you were disappointed with the
pronunciation of botanical Latin in the United Kingdom, so you asked the
members of this international mailing list how Latin horticultural names were
pronounced in our various countries.

You received many answers to your question, but all, I believe, came from
people in  the United States. If you were asking whether in this country we
insist that there is only one correct pronunciation for botanical Latin, then the
answer appears to be 'no'. However, all your answers together demonstrate that
there is no one simple answer to your question.

I gave you my answer based on my personal education, and my personal
observations as one gardener in America, and I provided to you a reference to one
pronunication guide published by a very well-known American gardening magazine, so
that you could examine some examples of what that magazine thinks is correct
American botanical Latin pronunciation at this time.

I did not say that this guide is an authority. The magazine guide does not
agree with some other guides in books and magazines I have here. And those books
do not agree with pronunciation guides in some other books I also have here.
Some of my books with guides are American books, and some are not American
books.

I regret that you are disappointed with my answer, but I am pleased that you
found the pronunciation of your favorite Iris in the guide to be agreeable.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA