REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

Greetings.

I have a suggestion, which is also a favor to request.

I think it would be enormously interesting, and useful, if those who have
studied Latin, or botanical Latin, intensively, which would certainly include
Robert, Griff, Neil, Edmondas, and Ellen, would post here the correct
pronunciation of some Iris species.

Notwithstanding the example of pseudacorus, I would not expect this to be a
controversial undertaking; certainly that is not my intent. I simply think that
after all that has been said, some list members might like to know what the
"correct" classical pronunciations of the Latin names are.

I will contribute a list of the specific epthets of selected Iris binomials,
grouped by Series as published in 'A Guide to Species Irises', from Cambridge
University Press. This list is not intended to be comprehensive; add to it if
you like.

So, can we get some enlightenment here?

Cordially, Anner Whitehead etc. etc.

albertii; albicans; aphylla; attica; clausii; furcata; garmanica; croatica;
trojana; imbricata; kashmiriana; kochii; lutescens; pallida; cengialtii;
pseudopumila; pumila; purpureaobractea; reichenbachii; schachtii; suaveolens;
subbiflora; timofejewii; variegata

bloudowii; humilis; mandschurica; potaninii

acutiloba; atrofusca; atropupurea; aurantiaca; barnumae; bismarkiana;
cedrettii; damascena; gatesii; iberica; lortetii; mairiae; meda; nigricans; paradoxa;
sari; sofarana; sprengeri; susiana

afghanica; hoogiana; korolkowii; kushkensis; stolonifera

falcifolia; longiscapa

cuniculiformis; dolicosiphon; goniocarpa; hookeriana; kemaonensis;
narcissiflora; sikkimensis; tigridia;

confusa; cristata; formosana; gracilipes; japonica; lacustris; milesii;
tectorum; tenuis; wattii

henryi, minutoaurea; odaesanensis; rossii; speculatrix

verna

ruthenica; uniflora

setosa; tridentata

bulleyana; chrysographes; clarkei; delavayi; dykesii; forestii;
phragmitetorum; sanguinea; sibirica; typhifolia; wilsonii

bracteata; chrysophylla; douglasiana; fernaldii; hartwegii; innominata;
macrosiphon; munzii; purdyi; tenax; tennuisimma; thompsonii

missouriensis

ensata; laevigata; pseudacorus; versicolor; virginica

brevicaulis; fulva; giganticaerulea; hexagona; nelsonii

prismatica

crocea; graminea; kerneriana; lilacina; ludwigii; monnieri; orientalis;
pontica; pseudonotha; sitenesii; spuria; xanthospuria

foetidissima

anguifuga; bungei; cathayensis; farreri; loczyi; polysticta; regelii;
songarica; tenuifolia; ventricosa

lactea

grant-duffii; aschersonii

unguicularis; lazica

barbatula; colettii; decora

boissieri; filifolia; juncea; latifolia; tingitana; xiphium

aitchisonii; albomarginata; aucheri; baldschuanica; bucharica; carterorem;
caucasica; cycloglossa; doabensis; edomensis; fosteriana; galactica;
hymenospatha; kuschakewiczii; magnifica; maracandica; microglossa; narbutii; naryensis;
nicolai; nusairiensis; orchioides; palaestina; parvula; persica; planifolia;
pseudocaucasica; regis-uzziae; rosenbachiana; stenophylla; stocksii;
tubergeniana;
warleyensis; wendelboi; willmottiana; zaprjagajewii