Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

In a message dated 2/23/05 9:20:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeffwiris@yahoo.com writes:

<<  It should be noted that many of these names are not Latin at all, but
names in various other languages with Latin grammatical endings attached. Is
there a convention that the non-Latin portions of these names should be pronounced
as they normally are in the language from which they are derived? >>

Yes, this is a sticky aspect for sure. According to Pries, speaking recently
to this point, there is such a rule. My own understanding has been that the
pronunciation should "preserve" the recognizability of the original name, that
is, keep the inflection and syllables and vowel sounds intact and so forth.
This is almost but not quite the same idea.

<< This doesn't appear to be as simple as it seems.>>

Indeed. So Pries also intimated, and I confess it did not surprize me that he

But these are all names of species of the genus Iris, and as such they are
all supposed to have a correct pronunciation, or so I have been given to
understand. I expect, however, that some would be easier to get a handle on than

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA