SPU: New botanical Iris name

In a message dated 2/24/05 12:02:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<<  I am wondering if a new name were created how it would be received and
what the possibilities are for the name. For example would everyone grimace if
we used a name like Iris xspurica or Iris xspuriae or maybe Iris xspurexii
nothing seems to hit the spot, what do you all think? >>

Bob, I thought they revised the rules on the use of grex several years ago
but I can't recall what the revision was.  I guess you know about all that? Is
it germane to this situation? I think I read it in that copy of the AHS rag
which had all that Art Tucker in it. Overall, is not the general tendency is to
downplay grex for public consumption? I'm just asking, not conducting a
Socratic experience...

Anyway, how does this situation differ from that of any other group of garden
hybrids? How is this managed within other series in similar contexts?

Aesthetically speaking, of the three you propose I think xspuriae is the
best. It looks like an interspecific cross within the Spuriae. Is that what you
are intending?

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA