Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

Jeff Walters asks about the application of the rule as--"Since "penultimate"
refers to the next to last syllable in a word...."

Jeff, the syllable carrying the grammatical ending often does not count as the
"last" (ultimate), so the "penultimate" (almost the last) falls back one
syllable, and still another if the vowel is a weak one.

Part of the problem with "pseudacorus" is that it is a hybrid form with Greek
prefix, Latin (I think) root (the cor-) part with a masculine noun
inflection.

There is considerable uncertainty how the "eu" vowel combination was
pronounced in various places.  According to Eugene Van Ness Goetchius in *The
Language of the New Testament," reflecting a form intermediate between
Classical and vernacular eastern-empire Greek, the diphthongs are formed from
the two vowel sounds pronounced in rapid succession.  This particular
combination is like the "Edw" of Edward, with the d left out.

In the "ps" combination of consonants, BOTH are pronounced, unlike our usage
in English.  We would say "sue" where in Greek this prefix would come out as
"psay-oo."

Syllabification is usually by consonant followed by vowel, so the pattern of
the syllables would be "psay-oo, dah, koh, rus.  NONE of these syllables would
be given the stress accent.  The diphtong is a long (combination) vowel. and
the "koh" might be lengthened a bit compared to the other syllables as a
secondary "long" syllable.

It isn't easy for us who speak English to pronounce a word without stress
accented syllables, but with practice and listening carefully, we can and do
learn.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains