Re: SPU: New botanical Iris name

In a message dated 2/24/05 9:46:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

<< I thought they revised the rules on the use of grex several years ago
 but I can't recall what the revision was.  I guess you know about all that?
Is
 it germane to this situation? I think I read it in that copy of the AHS rag
 which had all that Art Tucker in it. >>

Okay, since I mentioned this, I thought should dig out the magazine and see
what it was I thought I might be remembering.

The source is the MAy/June 1996 issue of 'The American Gardener' which I kept
for a collection of pieces grouped under the title "Focus: The Name
Game"--and a sort of neat thing Richard Dufresne wrote about direct scanning flowers.
The information may be getting stale, but it includes a bibliography, some talk
of the Cultivated Plant Code, and a bit by Dr. Artur O. Tucker on "Great
Taxonomic Gaffes."

The bit I quote below is from Art's piece and may be helpful for someone in
the context of Bob's question.

"A species is properly the genus plus a specific epithet [. . . .] because a
species has two names, it has to be expressed as a binomial [. . . .] To
further define a species, the authority who first named it is also appended in
formal botanical usage.
[. . .] Hybrid species are designated with a multiplication sign "X,"
although the lower case letter "x" may also be used. Peppermint is a hybrid of
spearmint (Mentha spicata) and watermint (M. aquatica) and is written M. xpiperata.
Intergeneric hybrids  such as heucherella, a hybrid of the two genera Heuchera
and Tiarella, have the "x" before the genus; thus the new genus xHeucherella.
Some nursery catalogs list an "x" before certain cultivar names. I am not
sure what this really means; the International Code of nomenclature for
cultivated plants does not allow the use of "x" before a cultivar name."

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA