Re: OT: latin pronunciation

As soon as somebody brought up the pronunciation of "pseudacorus" I said to
myself that this is one where I'll bet Gary White--we have known each other
well for quite a few years--will chime in.  Thanks, Gary, for not
disappointing me!  As far as the pronunciation of "iris" is concerned, I
believe this is in a totally different category from "pseudacorus",
"drummondi", and the rest of the Latin names.  "Iris" has become an English
word, whatever its origin may have been.  As with many others like it, it has
taken on an English pronunciation entirely apart from how Romans may have said
the word.----Of course, there are words which have different English and
American pronunciations--I think of Clematis, which is KLEM-uh-tis
in Britain and to most Americans I've heard is "kle-MAT-is".   Reminds me of
Professor Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, who insists, regarding the speaking
of English, "In America they haven't used it for years!"

Arnold

38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net