Re: HYB: Getting Ready

  • Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: Getting Ready
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:51:03 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:51:03 -0500

I've been using Q tips and regular envelopes.  Why do you like the post it
notes better?  Just because they take up less space? Sounds like more trouble
to me - I can throw several Q tips in each envelope. Tinker's has a nice site.
Thanks for posting it.  Are you doing daylilies too?

I'm trying something new this year - color coding , by year, the seeds.  I
have a set of white tags for the actual pollination.  Have different colored
tags (from window blinds) on which I will write the cross numbers that take,
at the time I harvest seed.  That way I will still have a complete set of
hybridizing tags at the end of the season.  The different colored tags are
sturdier (I had to drill-press the holes)  and should last all the way to the
compost pile.  Will be color coding the notebook with the tags, so I can find
things quicker.  Have also made up a set of  blank tags in bright red for ones
on the bubble to compost.

I was doing OK, (not great but OK), without blooms until I visited the in-laws
in Tucson a couple of weeks ago.  I saw a plain little purple survivor-type
blooming away in trailer park gravel.  Now, I'm not doing well at all.  Hope
it's a really early spring!

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis