RE: HYB: Getting Ready

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Getting Ready
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:20:49 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:20:49 -0500

Actually, I've been ready since mid January

Having stubby, fat fingers and no nails to speak of, I find the Q tips work
really well.  A little twirl and the pollen just rolls right onto it.  Never
had trouble with the fuzz getting caught on flower parts.  No chance of
contaminating with other pollen, as with a paintbrush being cleaned & reused.
They're so cheap, you just throw them away when done.  Reminds me of a
bumblebee's back, just the right size!

I made a few daylily crosses last year (extended bloom and doubles).  Here,
it's not the deer outside, it's my cats munching on the seedlings in the
sunroom. They sure do germinate quicker than iris!

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis