RE: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

I had chimed in rather early in these pronunciation threads with the axiom
that "He who speaks it the loudest has the correct pronunciation." I have
followed these threads with interest, because, oddly enough, correct
pronunciation of scientific names is not strictly an Iris related issue.

I've learned certain rules over the years about pronunciations of fish
names, and do suspect that they conform to scientific names in general.
Tonight, I did a quick Google to see if there were any web sites that may be
of assistance in learning proper pronunciation, without having to type those
rules I have learned for presentation to this group. Now I can simply send
you who are interested in the subject scurrying over to some web resources
which may help to end the discussion or add fuel to the fire <g>.

If you hop over to <http://fishwatch.tripod.com/newsletter/1/news1-4.htm>
you can read an article, "SCIENTIFIC NAMES AND LATINPHOBIA". This mainly
deals with fish names, but rules are rules, and they should follow through
on  to the botanical world.

Then, you can move along to
tm>, "Latin for Gardeners:  a Brief Pronunciation Guide", which deals with
names from a plant world perspective.

Have an enjoyable time reading these articles.