Re: RE: HYB: Getting Ready

In a message dated 2/25/2005 6:48:44 A.M. Central Standard Time,
MryL1@msn.com writes:

Notebook  getting wet is a perpetual problem.

Mary Lou,  I use one of the 9 1/2 X 6 Inch note books.  I  keep all of my
supplies, the notebook, tags, tweezers and spare  envelopes in a 1 gallon plastic
storage bag to keep the dew off.  If I  have pollen in the bag, I make sure I
lay it on the shady side of things while  I'm making the crosses.  The
plastic can heat up quick.
I tried one of those little carry along's with a handle, but notebook  didn't
fit and I found it too awkward.
I do have massive amounts of blooms and got in the habit of snapping them
off when I 'borrowed' pollen from a friend's garden!  I wasn't expecting to
collect pollen and didn't have any envelopes with me.  But I've found that
carrying the bloom with me cuts out the step of having to write on an  envelope.
If I have several crosses I want to make with the same pollen I  try to do them
at the same time.  But I couldn't bear the thought of  snapping blooms for
the first several years.
My hybridizing program comes way ahead of the shows.  But when I do  show
(1-5 stalks) I usually mark/stake the stalk so I won't damage  it. I can't safely
transport more than a few stalks.
When you save pollen with the Q-tips, you put them in an envelope and  write
the information on the envelope?  Have you tried freezing pollen this  way?
Drying anthers can be a problem with my kitties.  I have to  remember to put
the pollen (on paper plates) into a room where I can close the  guys out. One in
a real plant pain and will mess with anything that smells  of outside.  Then
I risk forgetting it's there.
In almost 20 years of using my finger to apply pollen I've broken 2 style
crests, but in both cases the cross still took.  I use my ring finger since
it's the weakest. Practice makes perfect they say. I never think of a  cross and
then have to go get my materials!  (I'm trying to follow the  'program' this
Never got the hang of the paint brush.  I suspect I tried the Q-tips  at one
Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: