Re: SPU: New botanical Iris name

Anner: The trend in botany is to ignore the x names, Pure Science Botanists have often had a disdain for horticulture. Despite the fact that I have always loved gardening I was there once also, so I understand. Unfortunately they dont always see the consequences of their attitude. For example, I have seen several informed publications listing spuria hybrids as I. spuria and Siberian hydrids as I sibirica which only serves to confuse an unknowing gardener. Many gardeners think that a cultivar has to be a hybrid and cant be a species. When people use a species name for acknowledged hybrids it only confuses the issue further. Just because botanists only want to deal with the natural world and would rather not think about grex, is a poor excuse for misusing the names they have, just because no one wants to put their career on the line to take a rational approach. Botanists still have not confronted the Iris germanica  or should it be xgermanica issue head on. This controversy has
 even permeated the AIS and I would be willing to discuss that privately.

            You chose the name I prefer for the grex. Unfortunately its asset may also be a problem. Iris  xspuriae uses the same spelling as the Series Spuriae and of course is made up of hybrids of this series. Unfortunately I am not positive it is allowable to use a series name as a x name. Even though it makes good sense, there may be some rule against it in the Botanical or Horticultural code books. If you have ever tried to read them, they are like reading law books referring to back and forth to numbered paragraphs and easy to miss a particular point. I have an e-mail in to one of the authors so I hope to get a clarification soon. I feel that I can press on such issues because I have no reputation to loose. Privately I have had some rather complimentary things said by world experts who would rather not tackle these problems.