RE: HYB: Getting Ready

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Getting Ready
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:00:47 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:00:47 -0500

Yes, I have frozen pollen.  Just checked it and it still looks good.  I put
the Q tips in envelopes with the donor name, unsealed, in a ziplock bag with a
few dessicant pouches, in the freezer.  If it was humid when collected, I let
it dry out for a short while in the air-conditioned house before freezing.  If
Double Shot doesn't bloom this spring, I've got it anyway.  Jennifer Rebecca
gave me loads of pollen last fall. I can try my fall-blooming maiden on the
earliest bloom this spring. Good pollen was in short supply here last May, so
now I have rebloomer ammunition!  It's really frustrating to have no pollen
suitable for the early blooms.

I'm one of those women who carries the world in a purse.  During bloom season,
I never leave home without a ziplock bag in the purse with a dessicant pouch,
Q tips and envelopes in it.  Takes up very little space.  Have never had
trouble wheedling pollen from anyone, when I show them all I mean to do is
swab it off.

Will try putting the notebook in a plastic bag.  Bet I still manage to get it
wet, though.

Mary Lou, near Indianpolis - nothing but crocus here.