Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

For sure I am not a botanist and lack a scientific bent but
goaded myself into seeing what I could gleam in my own way.

I am read with interest Anner's quite useful quest centering on
iris species to establish some kind of standard pronunciation. I
would be of no help with my classical Latin of decades ago which
still rings strong in my noggin'.

1) There are no silent syllables in Latin everything is
pronounced. (the ii = ee-eye which is how I remember it all
these years later)
2) Syllables are the number of vowels in a word or vowels made
up syllables...granted I am 61 yrs. of age and decided not to
take on remedial classical Latin. (I am not sure whether I even
remember it correctly).
3. Griff, when I was a young girl, I fell in love reciting
Cicero. Yeah, he was a strange character (meaning Cicero not my
beau :-).

I know zip about botanical v. horticultural Latin or references
re naming. I thought a grex was some kind of new monster that my
grandson wanted for his birthday.

I am only partially kidding and my respect for those who are
qualified in this field runs deep. I think my friend Gary White
would/should be a major participant in this area. He not only
has the academic background in Botany...graduate degree, he also
has a good understanding of Classical Latin.

Ellen (still below zero here most morning and the snow is
blanketing the trees and gardens..wonderful time to write and
edit an iris publication)

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, 'The Siberian Iris'
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
Siberian iris mailing list archives 1999 - 2004:
http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/    (1996 - 1998 messages not archived)
The Society for Siberian Irises web page:  http://www.socsib.org