Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

Walt, I got a fair amount of amusement from your comments about the "Latin is
just bad [French/Spanish] and the article from Argentina.

The natural rhythms of the Spanish I heard from Bascos from NW Spain and the
folks whose origins were from Jalisco and Michoacan in Mexico who worked for
me were the rhythms I learned, not those of the Tex-Mex and very Americanized
third generation folks whose grandparents had come from anywhere along the
border.  That's almost a whole other language.

Then in Seminary one of my closest friends was a fellow student from Florida,
a descendant of the old Spanish Foridians, who have a form of Spanish much
like the Cubans.  Another one of the students was from Columbia.

When I got here to Arden and was on staff at St. Barnabas parish, a good
segment of the congregation had their roots in Puerto Rico, and were of
Spanish origin, but definitely NOT Castilian.

Then the Latin of some hymns we used, and the Latin on the left page, English
on the right of Canon Law texts began to sing to me in those same rolling
rhythmic phrases I heard in Spanish.  The language came alive!  I even began
actually to understand some of it.

What memories you have stirred up.

Incidentally, the Mountain Horticultural Research Center here in the Arden
area has quite a tomato breeding program.  One of the botanists is a friend
from the parish life.  He and I have had some animated and engaging

Neil Mogensen