Re: Pronounce Species Correctly

<1) There are no silent syllables in Latin everything is
pronounced. (the ii = ee-eye which is how I remember it all
these years later)>

Ellen, there is fragment from your message. Also the same assertion I
found in other messages. I must sadden you, but there are no other
variants of pronuncation of letter i than -ee-. If you were learned so,
it was free treatment of your teachers influenced by English language.
As I have given an information -eye- in modern English appeared only
from begining of XII century. Earlier -i- was pronounced as -ee-. And never in
Latin as -eye- no in clasic no in vulgar one. So if you like to
pronounce "albertii" correct you must pronounce both ee-ee. Sound
-eye- you can meet only when word end with -ae-, as in species name
-mariae- -mar-ee-eye-,or -barnumae- -barnum-eye-. At all there are
often doubled consonants like ll, kk, nn, ss, tt. It is said they are
pronounced both, but pronunciation can be specific, like one prolonged
sound. It's difficult to explane, need hear. There is also problem and
in this discussion was emphazised about pronunciation of words other
than from Latin language. Some examples: I.hoogiana (Hoog-Holand
family name)must be pronounced with -h- instead of -g-, I.boisieri
(French language)-buasyeri, I.kuschakewiczii (Russian language)
-ku-sh-akevi-ch-ii (-sh- like in shut, -ch- like in chair)and many
others. In all that cases for good or even satisfactory pronunciation
origin of word is need. There was also reasonings on which sylables
must be put accent. I must say that I myself no pay great attention to
this. It I do from flair. Two interlokutors will understand one
another when pronouncing by the same rules of Latin even if word will
be accented incorrectly (pseudakorus-that's no important accent on -a-
or on -o-, but not on -u-, or all sylables will be left without any
expressed accent). I imagine, that for people speaking in English can
be difficult to pronounce -r- in European manner. I remember when I
was pupil how it was difficult to do this me in English manner. But
because my father, who is now 96 years old, was teacher of English
language I was need to learn. The things are that European -r-, but
except French and maybe some dialects of German language is much more
vibrant, like engine of motor-cycle, with position of tongue tip in
front and above. But it is also not matter to ununderstand each other
american and european interlocutors. And if the word -spuria- will be
said the same only with nuanses of pronunciation -r-, all is OK, but
european can not understand if it will be said -sp-u-r-eye-a, where
-u- like first -u- in -cucumber-. It happened with me in England and I
was need to strain all my attention and thought to understand well.
But I must say it was not hopeless.
At end of this my message I like to tell my thanks for this pithy
corresponding. From such things we become more and more experienced
and it is quite not pity for time I have spent reading and writting. I
can not accept suggestion of Mrs. Anner to prepare list of
pronunciation of latin words according list she have put in one
message, but if you would find worthy I can do records on audio
casette of my and my son's pronunciation all that words, but only with
term that you qualify it not as mean of learning or recommendation,
only as change of experience. It can be done when I will meet with my
son. He is polyglot and can speak free about 15-20 languages
including 3 Arabic. He know not only language, but also history of
develpment languages. As most European languages are developed from
Latin, nuances of this language and pronunciation is known by him. He is
working as translator in one ministry of our government, but at home
languages and philosophy is his hobby as my is flowers. If you are
patient to read still some I will tell you how I understand what is
philosophy. Once he reported me that in one philosophy magazine which
is only in limited supply for philosophers not for public, he has
published an article. I asked what about is this article and he said if
he will explane nevertheless I don't understand. My self-respect
was offended and I decided to read myself. After I read one page I found all
words known, but understood not at all. He asked with smile what I
understood and I said that all speach or text what is non understandable
for normal people is philosophy.

Best regards,
 Edmundas                          mailto:konde@delfi.lt