TB: a couple of early stalks

Last year was hands down the worst bloom season I have ever had.  I honestly
blame it on almost no rain at all and a very hot summer arriving around
January.  Of course, shamefully neglecting my garden completely for about two
years didn't help much.  This year, we have had #$%^&&$%!!!! amounts of rain,
and with my lousy drainage I have lots of mold, rot, and some leaf spot.  If I
see a week without rain I may spray for it.  Because of the weather (highs in
the 60's and overcast) the new growth and struggling old fans are mostly about
3".  When it warms up I expect an explosion.  I just went out to look at the
garden, and Racing Heart has a stalk about 4 ft. tall and not showing color
yet.  I also have a couple of stalks from a fun Decipher x Skipalong cross at
the same stage.  If Keppel and Ghio hadn't worked that territory pretty
heavily, most of the seedlings in that area would be showstoppers.  Something
special may still come out of it.  Most have very good form, excellent
patterns, decent height and branching.

As far as pronunciations, I think Ghio has a hard G sound like Ghana, gorilla,
or the French name Guy; in that sense Gee-o.

In college I took a humanities course in drama; the teacher (French) insisted
on referring to those famous literary characters Dawn Jew-Anne and Dawn
Kwixit.  I made the mistake of trying to correct him; he said that's the way
the French pronounce it.  At least I was smart enough not to tell him how I
thought his name should be pronounced.

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.com
9b southern California