From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of Neil
A Mogensen
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:27 AM
To: Iris-talk
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: Pronounce Species Correctly

Somewhere I have gotten the notion it is possible to embed audible files in
posted message, quite analogous to how we include photos.  We might have to
move over to Iris-photos to do this, as embedded material in Iris-talk
probably will get stripped off just as photos are when members of the list
have forgotten we can't post photos to this list.

Do any of you on the list know how to do this?  If this is possible, it
be interesting to have some of the sounds Edmundas is talking about in an
audio file.  Few of us lack speakers as part of our set of peripherals on

Edmundas, I have greatly valued your remarks in the very long thread about

Somewhere I have gained the notion that Lithuanian has retained many
grammatical forms from an earlier stage in the development of the
Indo-European language family than any others still extant.

Also, the recording of Lithuanian in written form using Latin letters I seem
to remember had occurred quite early, so tended to retain or preserve
significant concrete evidence of how the Latin alphabet was related to
specific phonemes only a few centuries removed from the Classical period of
Latin language development.

As to the "r" sounds, the tongue rolled back half way to the uvula form of
Modern English grates most unpleasantly on the European ear.  It behooves us
to learn the sound Edmundas describes.  It isn't difficult--the phoneme
already exists in English, both British and Australian, as well in North
American pronunciation.  We use it in words like "city" and "pity."  That
short-clipped "t" sound is that of the "r" in most European but non-French
usage.  The uvular "r" of French and some dialects of German is a very late
development and, I believe, began as an affectation in the French court and
spread.  The sound is rather delightful in its own right, but has a
shallow history.

Neil Mogensen   z 7  western NC mountains