Re: TB: first bloom, pronunciation of species names

Seems that seedlings always have the first bloom stalks. Some are clearly
held over fall bloom stalks and a cross of Again and Again X Autumn Butterfly
are all in bloom or soon to bloom. An interesting seedling of ((Dazzling Jewel
x  Emma Cook pattern) X Emma Cook pattern) is in bloom. I started this line
because  I wondered if Dazzling Jewel was an Emma Cook pattern variant and
crossing to my  EC line seemed reasonable. The first generation were all like
Dazzling Jewel and  quite narrow. It seems likely that Dazzling Jewel is an amoena
zonal.  One  seedling was crossed to my EC line again and produced the
seedling which is  now blooming and is quite wide with touching hafts. Unfortunately
the standards  on this first flower are very open. Now the question is, is
this  seedling an EC or a Dazzling Jewel zonal or a combination of both? The edge
band  on the falls is quite wide and the same dark blue found in DJ. When
more from  the cross bloom I'll have a better idea.

If my memory serves "Garden Iris" has a section showing suggested
pronunciation of the species scientific names. My copy is in storage and I  can't check
to see if this is the case.

Fred  Kerr
Rainbow acres
_www.rainbowacresonline.com_ (http://www.rainbowacresonline.com)