OT:Re: Reminders

Neil  --  Those are very kind words.  I'll try to keep my response fairly
short, since we're really OT.  I think most of us know or have lived things
that we'd like to record for our posterity, if for no other reason.  Time,
however, is at once our friend and our enemy.  It grants us the opportunity
to accumulate experiences, but is not so generous in providing the leisure
to record them.  I envy those who are able to do both.  I confess that,
given the choice between doing something and writing about something,  I'll
likely choose the doing.

But you ask, have I given this (memoirs) any thought.  Not as such.  My
working career was full of writing, and I almost always wrote for a
specific, serious purpose.  In thinking about what to write now that I have,
supposedly, the time to do so, the challenge has always been whether to
write to entertain or to inform.   Although I like fiction,  with time
limitations what they are, I feel an obligation to write about things that
have really happened, since, otherwise, the experience will be lost.  Some
are funny, some tragic.  Comically enough,  I actually have set down several
chapters of what I might call the Turkish tales, but they're all in
Irish  --  composed for our weekly pub sessions, where each of us brings a
little tale to tell "as Gaeilge".   Since my kids will never learn the
language, they won't be able to read them, unless I re-write them in
English.

Then there's the "truth is stranger than fiction" problem. There were things
that happened, particularly in the intelligence field, that were so wildly
improbable that, if presented as fiction, they wouldn't be believable.  So,
perhaps memoirs would be the best way to go.  That might also solve the
problem of the mix of comic and tragic.

So, thanks for the suggestion, Neal.  It may help me to break out of my own
"writer's slough of despond".  And what about you, I might ask?  --  Griff