REF: Re: Pronounce Species Correctly

Edmundas wrote:

>>> I must sadden you, but there are no other variants of
pronuncation of letter i than -ee-. If you were learned so,it
was free treatment of your teachers influenced by English
language. As I have given an information -eye- in modern English
appeared only from begining of XII century. Earlier -i- was
pronounced as -ee-. And never in Latin as -eye- no in clasic no
in vulgar one. So if you like to pronounce "albertii"correct you
must pronounce both ee-ee. Sound- -eye- you can meet only when
word end with -ae-, as in species name
- -mariae- -mar-ee-eye-,or -barnumae- -barnum-eye-. <<<
Edmundas, you are correct, of course.   I am sure that my memory
of over 40 yrs. ago (when I studied 'classical' Latin), is very
tenuous but I feel sure that I was taught the incorrect
pronounciations by the learned Sisters.

But as a practical matter, to use your example of Iris albertii,
I just can't get the sounds of ee-ee to come out of my throat
correctly. I revert back to the common, ee - eye. Or something,

The word 'alumnae' (nothing to do with botanical Latin!) is
usually pronounced correctly with 'eye' at least here in the
Northeast U.S.

If it can be arranged by those who know more than I do about
audio (that is mose everybody), your son's rendering of correct
Latin would be interesting and useful.

Ellen (being on digest mode has distinct disadvantages)

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, 'The Siberian Iris'
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
Siberian iris mailing list archives 1999 - 2004:
http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/    (1996 - 1998 messages not archived)
The Society for Siberian Irises web page:  http://www.socsib.org