Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

In a message dated 2/26/2005 10:25:16 AM Central Standard Time,
waltseed2@yahoo.com writes:

> From this thread, I've learned that sometimes the Latin used today can be
> just bad English, too.

I think you more than a little correct. Too, we skim over some other
influences regarding how we arrive at our individual pronunciations.

Neil offered appreciated response:
 "And, there are 2 different pronunciations that usually come up, either
pseu-DACK-orus or pseu-duh-CORE-us."

I began contemplating why I pronounce the word pseudacorus the way I do. I
recall starting with an English dictionary some time ago. I remember when I
first encountered the word. It was not in the dictionary so I used the words

Main Entry: pseu7do
Pronunciation: 's|-(")dO meaning false

I would also routinely think any of the following acorus pronunciations
reasonably correct since none are particularly far apart. ACK-orus, AY-kur-us,
A-corus since to my ear they have only minor differences but I have a natural
preference for a-corus as opposed to A-corus with it bein the simplest
if you prefer) when pronounced with a short "a".

I arrived at my pronunciation more by logic and perception of human nature
than by listening to what someone else may have been taught via rote as being
correct. I had never seen the word pseudacorus or given it much thought until
about fifteen years ago.

From my perspective at the time (now percieved to be the Pragmatic Theory of
Truth among philosophers seeking definition) it seemed more likely the two
words when combined would be simply abutted. The O would be dropped because of
the difficulty of pronunciation in the combination "OA", from laziness, or
Or perhaps the A would be dropped. Either way, the resulting sound would be
similar when the word was pronounced. I arrived at "sood-a-kor-us" without
distinctly stressing one syllable over another, a short "a", and a short "u"
the last syllable. Social pressures (at least some need to conform) would also
tend to contribute to the blurring of the O or A pronunciation.

I confess now to finding some pleasure at my derived pronunciation being
similar to what I perceive Edmundas' to be. Hence I find myself curious and
with a
need to hear the cassette tape while still not fearing finding no similarity
at all.

As I heard the word later among some members of the iris community who
claimed a degree of intellectual superiority, I found the word a quaint but
illogical corruption, and had difficulty accepting the pronunciation
with what appeared to be an arbitrary movement of the D to the next word that
has been combined. First, it prevented understanding by those who hear the
pronunciation when they might easily otherwise do so regardless of whether
obtained "pseudo" from George Wallace, formal education, Szabo's lawyers, or
other source independent of, or by rote memorization of another's
pronunciation. Secondly, I had summarily rejected the premise that iris people
(and the
masses of humans in general) are quasi or pseudo intellectuals directed by a
common mentality. I began wondering why many might have adopted what was to me
alien concept for the word "pseudacorus" pronunciation. The curiosity
continued unabated until this day.

Today, I inadvertently ran across a previously encountered, but not
previously mentally connected, word that may have contributed to the "DACK"
(at least to the Southern mind) of pseudacorus and to some degree vindicated
those who continue with its use. Maybe I even discovered where an English
corruption may have originated. I have no idea which word predates the other
or if
it makes a difference at all.

Botany pl. sym7po7di7a -- A primary axis that develops from a series of short
lateral branches and often has a zigzag or irregular form, as in orchids of
the genus Cattleya. Also called pseudaxis  (soo-DAX-is).

Anyway, my understanding of pseudacorus now all fits into a satisfied
curiosity. With the exception of addressing the issue of Szabo's lawyers, I
tire of
one word, one way educational pursuit regardless.

As a point in passin', word corrupters among the masses are granted
considerable leeway regardless of the pronunciation choice we make. This I
know from
experience. On the other hand, this too I know, among pedantic pedagogues we
might find ourselves chastised, perhaps being accused as "word pe-DOFI-les".

Bill Burleson