Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

I seem to be trying to kill the dead horse again, but I think I need to repeat a couple of facts. Botanical Latin is not the same as Classical Latin or any other Latin. Botanist do not use Latin the same way that zoologists use it. Each discipline has developed its own culture. The most important aspect is that it can be understood by the listener. In different parts of the world this will mean different pronunciations. There is no Botanical Latin police that check on what you say, They were fired with the mattress police of do not remove this label fame. Most botanists would be pleased that gardeners have just attempted to learn the name let alone have a preferred pronunciation. Indeed I find regional pronunciations to have their own charm. When in Europe I would certainly do my best to conform to those pronunciations. When in the USA I will continue to pronounce Botanical names the way I was trained here. That does not mean that I do not have my own regional accent. But I do not
 judge others too harshly on this subject and I hope that they extend that courtesy to me also.