Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

In a message dated 2/27/05 9:54:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< The most important aspect is that it can be understood by the listener. >>

Which, of course, presupposes the listener will also reach halfway across any

I think some William T. Stearn might be good at this point:

"Botanical Latin is essentially a written language but the scientific names
of plants often occur in speech. How they are pronounced really matters little
provided they sound pleasant and are understood by all concerned."

It occurred to me last evening that I did not know whether Stearn was still
alive or not, although the last time I'd seen a picture of him, in one of the
first few issues of Gardens Illustrated, he had looked chipper but geriatric.
He apparently died in 2001, a fact I learned by Googling, which also turned up
this highly interesting memorial of what must have been a wonderfully
productive life and a generous and cheerful spirit.

This is a PDF file so may take a moment to load. The Stearn material begins
on page 32.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA