Re: REF: Pronounce Species Correctly

If not beaten to death already, it's surely getting very sore from the
continued beating it's getting.  Oh well, here I go one more time.

The following "species" name came up a couple of times in this discussion.
I find it interesting because assuming one follows the convention that you
use the original pronunciation of the name's owner, it is still difficult
to get it right, unless you personally knew the individual.  Ignoring the
Latinized ending, most people I know with that name (not too many, but
several) say it the way it looks to English speakers, coming out something
like "kahtsh".  One person I know here in New Mexico pronounces his name as
if it was "Cook".  I have heard others say "Cock". Of course these were all
people who probably never heard their names said in a "proper" German way,
and I doubt any of them speak German.

"kochii would be rendered "KOH-khee'ee," where "kh" would be the light or
"high" glottal fricative of German "ich" or the Greek "chi" in its ancient
form, the same sound. The next best approximation for an English speaker
be to use a "k" sound to render this, which is the unvoiced glottal stop
followed by the voice in plosive use. This would sound rather odd, but be
understood by a speaker of the original German."

Another similar case comes to mind, and I've been involved in discussions
of this one. I don't think there is an Iris schottii, but there are a lot
of other genera with that species name included.  Again, the owner of the
name, if he was English speaking, would probably say it as iff "Skot", but
the argument goes that it should be as if "Shot", because that "would be
proper Latin".  Of course that probably really isn't proper Latin, so then
that question comes up for debate. Ad-infinitum.

Then there was the Koehn family I knew briefly in sw. Kansas. This extended
family was mostly Mennonite (some orthodox, some not, some having left the
"faith" entirely). They spelled their name several different ways, and one
branch of the family insisted it should be pronounced as if "Kane", while
the other branch said it as if (Kowen).  One that I remember said it was
neither, and the way he said it would be more like "Cone" (but not quite,
it leaned very slightly toward "Coin"). I expect he may have been the
closest to remembering the "old country". These were cousins and sometimes
brothers arguing the point.  So if the family can't figure it out among
themselves, how is anyone else supposed to?!  I've never seen a species
"koehnii", but there might be one somewhere.