OT: French 'R'

<The uvular "r" of French and some dialects of German is a very
late
development and, I believe, began as an affectation in the French court
and
spread.  The sound is rather delightful in its own right, but has a
relatively
shallow history.>

Neil - I didn't know that...and I used to teach French!  Fascinating!  Oh, the things I learn through Iris-Talk...(VBG)

Edmundas - Philosophy never made much sense to me, either...but then, I'm not the most logical thinker   ;-)  Thanks for your interesting and informative post.

Linda Bartell
Troy, MI
Region 6, Zone 6a