Re: REF: Christopher Lloyd on Irises

In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:03:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@erols.com writes:

<<Thanks, Anner  --  one can almost see and smell what  he described.

You are welcome, Griff. I liked the passage.
In the article Lloyd, while highly appreciative  of various water species,
especially the ones with  variegated foliage, was quite outspoken about what he
saw as the downside  of some popular categories of garden irises, notably the
bearded. Loss  of hybrid vigor, unsightly out of season and hard to disguise,
etc. etc.  Not inaccurate in my opinion, but rather overstated.
Lloyd quotes Henry Mitchell, who lived and wrote in Washington DC, as  saying
that in his attitudes along this line, that is in pointing out some
"unpalatable truths", he, Lloyd, was "morally tainted." Lloyd was  sure Mitchell spoke
in jest, and I am confident he must have because it is  simply not done in
this part of the world to say things like that about other  people outside of a
court of law. On the other hand, Henry Mitchell  was pretty fond of modern
bearded irises.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA