RE: HYB: No-Take Tags

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: No-Take Tags
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:02:20 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:02:20 -0500

I've been told I don't always do a good job of saying what I mean.  My
numbered tag goes on right before the pollen does.  I got myself in trouble a
few years back, having put pollen on a bloom, then getting the tag out and not
remembering which bloom I pollinated.  So, ever since then, the tag goes on
first.  The tag stays with the seeds until replaced by a garden marker.

If I took the tag off and wrote the info on the forming pod, I'd probably
never find some of them again.  I look for my white tags, and still last
summer I missed a couple and wound up picking seeds up off the ground. I
probably need trifocals.  It would be a good back-up plan to write on the pod
too, since high winds can break stalks and send tags flying.

Dehydrating seeds and pollen doesn't sound like a good idea.  My dehydrator
gets too hot, I think, even on the lowest setting. Been told pollen should be
kept cool and dry.  Might be an interesting experiment, maybe with a bee pod
you don't care about.  Early results with my germination experiments here are
that seeds just barely dry before being soaked and chilled germinate much
faster than ones that have been dry a long time. Flawed methodology to test
this (experiments were how much soaking, how much chilling), so can't offer
real proof.

Talking about daubing is making me antsy.  Notebook already numbered to 700.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - warmest January since the 1880s, after a
brutal December