REF: AIS: The Iris - An Ideal Hardy Perennial

Some time back when, very briefly, we were discussing favorite Iris  books, I
mentioned the first AIS book, *The Iris- An Idea Hardy  Perennial*, saying
there was a "surprizing amount of interesting stuff" in  it. I also said it was
published under the direction of the Bulletin  Editor, Geddes Douglas, who was
real good."
This is not quite correct, although Geddes Douglas was indeed real  good, and
was the Editor of the Bulletin in 1947.   As I remembered last night when
reading an obit of Robert Swan  Sturtevant, who died in Nashville in 1955 in a
house fire, the Editor in  1946 had been Sturtevant. Geddes Douglas who wrote
the obit,  makes this point clearly when he says Sturtevant "served as Editor of
the  Society's highly successful publication 'The Iris-An Ideal Hardy
Perennial.'  "
Pulling the book off the shelf and taking a look before one  spoke might have
been a swell notion, but  sometimes one just types up a quick little note off
the  top of one's bean, casual like as it were, and thus it may come to pass
that one must come behind onself and set the record straight that  misleading
bibliographical information not be left in the  Archives.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA