Re: REF: Christopher Lloyd on Irises

Anner -- I'm sure Henry Mitchell envisioned his heavenly mansion surrounded by the fragrance of irises. He also had a wonderful humor. The pedestal upon which he put irises was so well known that his chiding of Lloyd was undoubtedly, in part, poking fun at himself. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] REF: Christopher Lloyd on Irises

In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:03:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@erols.com writes:

<<Thanks, Anner -- one can almost see and smell what he described.

You are welcome, Griff. I liked the passage.

In the article Lloyd, while highly appreciative of various water species,
especially the ones with variegated foliage, was quite outspoken about what he
saw as the downside of some popular categories of garden irises, notably the
bearded. Loss of hybrid vigor, unsightly out of season and hard to disguise,
etc. etc. Not inaccurate in my opinion, but rather overstated.

Lloyd quotes Henry Mitchell, who lived and wrote in Washington DC, as saying
that in his attitudes along this line, that is in pointing out some
"unpalatable truths", he, Lloyd, was "morally tainted." Lloyd was sure Mitchell spoke
in jest, and I am confident he must have because it is simply not done in
this part of the world to say things like that about other people outside of a
court of law. On the other hand, Henry Mitchell was pretty fond of modern
bearded irises.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA