AIS: Mike's Challenge

 My challenge is for everyone having an iris rhizome sale to give each  young
child one or two free rhizomes. Also an instruction sheet on how to grow
them.

I was at one of our club sales and it was getting close to time to shut down.
One member had brought over 200 rhizomes of Harvest Of Memories. I ask a
couple people if I could do the above. They said it was ok. One member who had
been gone came back. She threw a fit and made us stop. She said " We are here
to make money for the club." I said " I thought we were here to promote iris"
She said " Not !!! with kids "  None of the HOM were sold so what did we
lose.

Some of the parents of the children we gave iris to bought a couple more. Not
all did. If we make iris growers out of 1% of the kids we are ahead. And we
could convert some of the parents.
At sales there are always some that do not sell.

This will not solve the present lack of members but may help the future. At a
young age children are easily impressed. Think of all of you out there that
grow iris because a relative did when you were young. It is often just a
little thing that impresses them, some nice thing you did with out thinking
about. With my large family such things have come back to me many times.

Betty you might never get to see it but I bet your grandchildren will grow
iris because you loved them and iris.

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio