Re: AIS: Mike's Challenge

In a message dated 2/4/2006 11:21:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com writes:

<<My challenge is for everyone having an iris rhizome sale to  give each
young
child one or two free rhizomes. Also an instruction  sheet on how to grow
them.>>
Mike, what a splendid idea.  Maybe we could take some to the sales for
exactly this purpose!  If we put a sign over them that says "1 rhizome free  to
anyone under 21!"  Or something like that.  Then TPTB would have  little
recourse??  Or even use it in advertising to draw young people (and  their parents) to
the sale?  <someone stop me!>

<<This will not solve the present lack of members but may help the  future.
At a
young age children are easily impressed. Think of all of you out  there that
grow iris because a relative did when you were young. It is often  just a
little thing that impresses them, some nice thing you did with out  thinking
about. With my large family such things have come back to me many  times.>>

Children never forget kindness.  And many of our memories are  connected with
plants.  I remember the neighbor that introduced me to  irises and shared
many of her flowers with me, including the irises.  I  never knew my grandmother
Ward, but I'll never forget the scent of the golden  mums she grew in a side
yard.  I was 3 months old when she died.

<<Betty you might never get to see it but I bet your  grandchildren will grow
iris because you loved them and iris.>>

Mike, the oldest declares that her favorite flower is the iris, and that  she
is going to be a 'flower gardener' when she grows up.  Both grandmas  are
gardeners, but I'm the only "flower" gardener!  <vbg> Last  spring, I was way too
busy and we didn't have many iris days to  share.  I hope to remedy that this
year!  She already loves to help  with seed harvest!

The almost 3 year old loves looking at iris pictures already, and has her
favorite colors!  Their parents think it's all funny!  But even my son  has
admitted to being a bit more interested in recent years.  He mows  around them
each summer and enjoys the rebloomers.  Slow and steady wins  the race!

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: