From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:47 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] AIS: Mike's Challenge

In a message dated 2/4/2006 11:21:52 A.M. Central
Standard Time, mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com writes:

<<My challenge is for everyone having an iris
rhizome sale to  give each young child one or two
free rhizomes. Also an instruction  sheet on how
to grow them.>> Mike, what a splendid idea.  Maybe
we could take some to the sales for exactly this
purpose!  If we put a sign over them that says "1
rhizome free  to anyone under 21!"  Or something
like that.  Then TPTB would have  little
recourse??  Or even use it in advertising to draw
young people (and  their parents) to the sale?
<someone stop me!>
<<This will not solve the present lack of members
but may help the  future.
At a
young age children are easily impressed. Think of
all of you out  there that grow iris because a
relative did when you were young. It is often
just a little thing that impresses them, some nice
thing you did with out  thinking about. With my
large family such things have come back to me many

Children never forget kindness.  And many of our
memories are  connected with plants.  I remember
the neighbor that introduced me to  irises and
shared many of her flowers with me, including the
irises.  I  never knew my grandmother Ward, but
I'll never forget the scent of the golden  mums
she grew in a side yard.  I was 3 months old when
she died.

<<Betty you might never get to see it but I bet
your  grandchildren will grow iris because you
loved them and iris.>>
Mike, the oldest declares that her favorite flower
is the iris, and that  she is going to be a
'flower gardener' when she grows up.  Both
grandmas  are gardeners, but I'm the only "flower"
gardener!  <vbg> Last  spring, I was way too busy
and we didn't have many iris days to  share.  I
hope to remedy that this year!  She already loves
to help  with seed harvest!
The almost 3 year old loves looking at iris
pictures already, and has her favorite colors!
Their parents think it's all funny!  But even my
son  has admitted to being a bit more interested
in recent years.  He mows  around them each summer
and enjoys the rebloomers.  Slow and steady wins
the race!

Betty W. in South-central  KY Zone 6 --- Bridge In
Time Iris Garden@website:
_Reblooming Iris - Home Page_
(http://www.rebloomingiris.com/) _iris-photos
archives_ (http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/)