Re: AIS: Mike's Challenge

In a message dated 2/4/2006 2:21:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vgbro@peoplepc.com writes:

<<This is the type of specimen that I think the children should  receive so
they will have the greatest chance for success. After it blooms  and they get
that first blue ribbon is when we have a chance of getting a  new irisarian.

Success? I don't think we see things the same here. I think they  should be
allowed just enjoy their personal plant. Growing their iris  to bloom and
enjoying it is a wholly adequate goal, if a  goal they must have. I don't hold with
pushing them to compete in recreational  arenas; indeed, I don't hold with
pushing them in any direction at  all.
Some folks find showing irises energizing; some find it boring; some  think
the concept is risible, or archaic; and some are  flatout repelled by the whole
competative gardening thing. All of these  attitudes are entirely
understandable to me.
If the child is around folks who are growing for showing he or she  may
develop some interest in being part of that world, and that interest  may be
nurtured, but I personally don't think such is essential  to becoming an irisarian.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA