RE: AIS: Mike's Challenge

I think this is a fabulous idea!!!   And so many awesome suggestions that

We've had many years of drought and it looks like we will have more -
especially this summer, but no matter what, my irises get water and enough
to grow.  I make sure that every year I give one or two neighbours a
rhizome.  I also try to give one or two to other gardening friends locally.

If I see a beautiful iris, I ALWAYS ask if I can may have just one and then
I pamper it as much as I can and after 2 -3 years I'll share again.
Frequently when I just want one - most people want to give me much more  and
at that time I also share.  It's really nice because I'll walk by certain
houses in my neighbourhood and it will give me a huge smile.  And several of
those people see me and wave.

I want to share one more thing.  I have a neighbour who is an elderly
chinese woman who takes absolutely immaculate care of her yard.  I saw that
she had some miniature irises.  I started dropping off irises in her yard
when  when it looked like she wasn't home.    She doesn't speak any English
whatsoever, but  she must have figured out it was me and now she always
waves and we now say hello.  I sometimes will even say hello in Chinese
(when I am alert enough to remember).   Irises are wonderful ambassadrors
for new friendships and a way to share our gardening passion.

I guess what I'm saying is after the sales are over and done, maybe make a
new friend and give one to someone who has a bare yard or is isolated by
whatever circumstance or just to cheer up someone's day (or years) as so
many others here can attest to.