Re: AIS: Mike's Challenge

I wrote:

<<<Many  people wouldn't grow irises if they didn't  show!  I think a  lot of

the AIS members fall in this  class.  It's the thrill of the competition.   >>
To which Anner replied:

<<I've never known anyone of whom  I thought that could be said. >>

My reply:

Anner, I might agree with you had I not handed out a survey at a regional
meeting several years ago.  I was surprised to learn that many people, when
allowed to remain anonymous, replied that they would not grow irises if  they
didn't show them.  I was impressed, and not just a little  surprised!

This wasn't even the main purpose in my survey.  It contained about 20
questions concerning the growing of irises and the importance growers gave
different features.  Now, I prepared the survey myself so it wasn't  scientific, but
I had just taken a class on how to do a 'proper' survey!   <vbg>  One that
wasn't biased or leading.

When people quit enjoying the irises, or the iris functions and iris  people,
they tend to quit growing the irises.  I've known iris people that  fell out
with their society and went from a yard full of irises to none at  all.  This
would never happen to me since I loved the irises long before I  knew the AIS
existed.

One of the problems, as I see it, is that some clubs run off their  members.
Again, I speak from observations.  It's not the way to grow  a society.  It's
a lot easier to keep older members than to find new  ones.

As my grandma used to say, it takes all kinds to make a world!  (Even  an
iris world!)

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: