Re: AIS: Mike's Challenge

In a message dated 2/4/2006 8:55:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RYFigge@aol.com writes:

<< I am one of those who only enter to boost the numbers for  the club, but
controversies of any  kind (and  competition is a sort of one!)  are not "my
thing" >>

I'm not mad about that sort of thing, myself, Rosalie. I loathe discord  and
bickering and politics. Which does not mean I don't have  principles I'll
stand up for, you understand.

I think it is good that you send irises to the show. Public outreach  is
where it is at. A lot of people get an enormous amount of pleasure out of  shows,
both the visiting public, and, apparently, from what Betty says,  also some
exhibitors. At least I guess that is what they are getting out  of the process
of showing. I find it inconceivable that they would not  grow irises if they
did not show irises, but she says that is what they said  on her survey. Wonder
if they grow anything else? How little we all know  about each other, really,
when clearly different things energize  different irisarians.

<< I enjoy my garden...Unfortunately I can no longer do much  of the work
anymore,  and I used to acturally enjoy weeding because  it  also included close
observation of how  things were  growing!  But, c'est le vie.>>

Containers, Rosalie. Get some real big pots going with stuff this  spring.
You can grow little salad greens while it is cool and then  some bright annuals
and a couple of tomatoes and whatnot and dig around in  there sitting in a
chair alongside. I did some big containers when I was  recovering from an
appendix that went putrid.

<<Also, I am sure you could grow show irises if you put you your  talents to
work as you do everything else you do so well!   >>

Maybe, but its my big magnolia, you see, and it is a rather small garden.
Oh, I occasionally get a superb stalk on something or other that I dug up  out
of a ditch in the middle of nowhere, something Edinger hasn't put a name  to,
or I'll have a great stalk on one of the species that  won't transport worth
snuff, but it is not something one can count on.  I've gotten pretty mellow
about the limitations of my garden. My own  limitations exasperate me
continuously, of course.

Thanks for your nice words.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead