To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] AIS: Mike's Challenge

In a message dated 2/4/2006 5:14:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

<<I think they should be allowed just enjoy their personal plant. >>
To each his or her own.

Many people wouldn't grow irises if they didn't show! I think a lot of the
AIS members fall in this class. It's the thrill of the competition.

I've shown at the local show each year since 1985 . . except last year when
I had to fill in as a judge. Even so I brought irises for 'exhibition only'
since it was an early season. I've won 'Best Specimen' three times. The
last time was really an accident! I'm a judge, vote ballots, give iris programs
in the community, etc.,

But my heart is in the garden. I'd rather hybridize than eat. Really!
But, I was just as happy growing a large patch of that bi-toned blue (almost)
that I discovered at fourteen. You've got to know a 20 x 20 foot bed of that
is impressive!

Most of the people that I've met in the 20+ years that I've been involved
with modern irises don't want to belong to any clubs. They just want to enjoy
their flowers! You have to respect their rights, but make the opportunity
available.

We're not all meant to be garden club or society people! I wasn't! It's
still an uneasy fit. But I've met a lot of great people. Iris people rank
pretty high on my list . . . after grandchildren and irises, of course! <vbg>

If you don't cross them, you can't plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: