To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 6:13 PM
Subject: [iris] HYB:CULT: pots

I've been pondering on the issue of pots for about a month now. Over X-mas I got a good look at the roots of my seedlings the oldest of which were then about 2.5 months old. The primary roots were 6-8 inches long, but there wasn't much else going on root wise. The rhizome on my largest seedling is still smaller than a quarter, but the roots are getting down more.

I know some of you are using 3" pots, but I wonder if that might not be a waste. Someone on list said their seedlings roots were very close to the surface once they are lined out. If the roots 'prefer' to go down more wouldn't it be better to have a pot that was say 8-12" deep? And if the rhizome itself is only 3/4" accross by line out what's the point in having a pot that's 4'' accross? especially where space for the pots might be at a premium. I know some of you use 1 gal pots which give you the depth, but if you leave all the seedlings from a cross in one pot doesn't it get crowded sometimes? For my own curiosity I'm not sure I could get along with the one gal, because I want to know which seeds germ when and I want to know what happened to all my seeds. (of course if I get more seeds to germinate I might grow out of that.)

Just wondering.