Re: Iris Fairies - & Perils of designing/interpreting surveys!

In a message dated 2/7/2006 12:41:43 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jbruce1@cinci.rr.com writes:

<<I think then that you would see the percentage who said they  wouldn't grow
without a show to be much  smaller.  >>
John, Gesine, and Others,
For clarity . . .
the intention of my survey was NOT to determine how many people grow irises
only to show them!  The primary purpose of the survey was to determine
specifics about attitudes toward garden irises in general and rebloomers in
particular.  This was one of 20 questions.  NOT the only  question.  Far from being
the 'point' of the survey.
The survey was only mentioned to back up my allegation that there were SOME
people that grow irises just to show!   I made no claim to how many .  . .
only to my surprise at the number.
No attempt to extrapolate the numbers has been made on my part.  It  was
simply an observation.  One I thought interesting enough to pass  on.
My surprise might have been greater because I am not one of them!
Some people, total number unknown, do grow irises just to show  them.  I've
known many iris lovers in and out of the AIS, and I have  personally known some
(a few) of these people.  <vbg>
In my opinion no survey can be determined to be 'pure.'  It will  always
carry the bias or intention of the person who compiled the survey.   Margins of
error exist.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: