Re: SPEC: Iris pumila

In a message dated 2/7/2006 1:40:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,  DWiris@aol.com

I have  been telling people that it was in the early 1930s that Bob Schreiner
got  the seeds, but it may have been the late 1920s.  In any event, that is
more than 50 years.  It has been 55 years since Walter Welch  published his
descriptive  list of dwarf iris species and  cultivars.

Thanks, Dorothy.
When I get out from under some stuff I am working on I will poke about in
the files and see if I can turn up that reference to  the date--for some reason
I am recalling 1928?--that is sticking in my  mind.
Dave Silverberg was kind enough to respoind to my note and remind me of the
bit in Dave Schreiner's obituary in the Bulletin, BAIS 320/p. 110 as written
by  Keith Keppel which speaks to this point as well. Keppel says for  any
'pumila' name in the 1939 Check List one should substitute the word  'dwarf.'
Tell me something else, please; about how far south-- or hot-- do you think
the pure pumila would do well, under ordinary conditions? Zone  6? It is a
true alpine, isn't it?
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA