Re: Iris Fairies - & Perils of designing/interpreting surveys!

In a message dated 2/7/2006 8:22:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
danabrown@peoplepc.com writes:

I  agree!!  The point you seemed to be sharing was that while conducting  a
survey of people attending an iris show you discovered that some  people
would not grow iris if they couldn't show them.  A point you  found
surprising and wanted to share with us based on the thread at the  time.  I
have also met such people and on the other hand I have met  people who would
rather burn their iris to the ground than show them.

This is almost what she said. As I understood her, the survey was given at  a
Regional Meeting. May also have been at a show, of course, but I did not
understand it that way.
I wonder if they thought they were being finessed? I mean, maybe they
answered that way as a subtle protest, a vote, against what they suspected  might be
some regional undercurrent to minimize the role of shows or take things  off
in some new direction, whatever? Sort of a, "If you start messing about with
shows so that things are done some way other than the way they have always
been done,  I  won't grow any of the things." Too fanciful? Some  people get
real enamoured of the status quo, even if they don't actually enjoy  it much.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA