Re: SPEC: Iris pumila

Iris pumila is a plant of the steppes and not really
an alpine. Alpines grow above the treeline created by
altitude, steppes are short grass prairies usually
created by restricted rainfall. Although many pumilas
are supposed to only bloom if they recieve a cold
winter. Ben Hager bred this trait out of his that he
grew and used for hybridizing. Robert Schreiner named
three of the pumilas that were sent to him,
'Carpathia', 'Nana', and 'Sulina'. The earliest record
I have of their introduction was prior to 1951 by
Rainbow Gardens. They were never registered until
recently. I have a letter from Bob Schreiner somewhere
in my files from Bob talking about their introduction
but I am not sure I could find it. The Dwarfs in the
39 checklist were either Iris lutescens or relatively
infertile collected hybrids between lutescens and
pumila, example 'Caerulea' & 'Pumila Atroviolacea' I
don't think the Schreiner pumilas went back as far as
1928 but I could be wrong certainly the were used
widely in hybridizing when they became available and
my guess would have been in the 40's. They were the
first true pumilas we knew in this country.