Re: Iris Fairies - & Perils of designing/interpreting surveys!

I think I should more carefully read the posts before I reply <G>. When I read the
post regarding the survey, it somehow stuck in my mind that it was a survey given
at a
regional show (does that exist?) rather than a regional meeting. After re-reading
I see that
this was incorrect, and I agree with Betty's comments re: her survey and that they
are very
interesting. My apologies to you, Betty.

To address that some clubs run off members, I can attest to that. I am not opposed
to the concept
of shows, just how they have been in my limited experience. Perhaps I need to get
out to more shows and see how it is done. I have only attended 6 shows, 5 put on
by my home club and one put on by a neighboring club. None of the shows were what
I would consider welcoming to the public, although they did serve the purpose of
educating folks about irises. To my knowledge we never signed up a new local
member or AIS member. At the show not put on by my club, I had 6 blue ribbons out
of seven irises, and 2 best of sections. I entered simply for the experience of
entering and showing. I was informed after winning that I had won prizes, only to
have that rescinded because I was not an AIS member at the time or a member of the
host club. I was not offered the oppurtunity to join either. As far as my home
club, it has since disbanded, mostly from internal strife and lack of more than 5
people who would do any of the necessary work to sustain events. Shows are al lot
of work, and should be fun for all participants, or at the least rewarding in that
goals were accomplished.

John Bruce