Re: SPEC: Iris pumila

The stalk is a definitive trait that would let you
know you don't have a pumila. But the
pumila/chamaeiris(lutescens)such as atroviolacea do
not have the stalk and were thought at the time to be
pumilas. Only After Simonet/Randolph's chromosome
counting did we recognized these as hybrids although
their sterility would have been a clue. Old varieties
refered to as pumilas that metion a branch certainly
were not pumilas. Ahner you are better at parsing ny
language than I. It is always impossible to prove a
negative. There may have been pumilas in the USA that
some grower recieved but never recorded. I have a
great deal of respect for Louise Beebe Wilder but she
and even me can make mistakes.