Re: SHOW: AIS shows and showing

In a message dated 2/7/2006 10:38:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Cseggen1@aol.com writes:

WHAT IS  PATENTLY MEDIOCRE MAY BE A SHOW SPECIMEN TO ME.  IT IS IN THE EYE OF
THE  BEHOLDER.

Connie, I am talking about things grown in MY own garden, no one  else's. I
do get to use that term about those, just as I do get to decide  whether I
think they should be entered into competition.

Recap: I said I could not grow show stalks because of my  conditions here.
Rosalie said she thought I could if I put my  mind to it.  Someone said a show
stalk was a stalk that got taken to a  show. I said that I thought show stalks
were supposed to be excellent  so the public was exposed to the good stuff,
therefore I thought there was  something to be said for not taking in a lot of
stuff that  was mediocre----- I'm still talking about my own plants, here.

As I see it, there are judged shows, where excellence in growing  and
grooming is rewarded and the Iris is supposed to be shown at its best,  and there are
exhibitions, where there may be displays of all sorts of  things, including
unjudged displays of blooms, or posters or  whatever. Sometimes there are also
exhibitions at judged shows,  especially educational displays. At events some
people and some groups  like to have quantities of unjudged material
around--buckets of blooms that  are not exhibition quality and so forth, unusual
irises, whatever--and some  people and some groups prefer not to.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA