Re: Iris Fairies - why show only Iris?

In our club most of the members who have lots of Iris and like to show, also do roses and/or dahlia's and/or camellia's as these also have shows. The "show type" tends to have a garden with the plants in rows, rather than intermixed into a border etc. At least for the show plants.

  We encourage all members to show, because it helps to have more varieties at the show even if they are not ribbon worthy. The average person does not notice the difference, as we have found in our "popularity polls" where guests are invited to list their favorites. The winner is often not a "winner" from a show standpoint. What is often  popular is any Dark plicata...

  Chad Schroter
  Los Gatos CA

  PPS I think it is a great idea to hand out free Iris to kids (of all ages) at sales, particulary if their parents are not already customers...we always have lots of leftovers.

In a message dated 2/7/2006 9:47:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,