Re: Iris Fairies - & Perils of designing/interpreting surveys!

Betty, thanks, and I appreciate your comments. I was an iris grower long before I
ever knew what a flower show was. I really sort of laughed at the prizes being
rescinded and thought it was a bit tacky. I didn't know they were going to be
awarded and wasn't there for that purpose. I was there for the experience before I
potentially embarassed myself in front of the home crowd :)   By the time my club
had it's show I knew the people and had a good idea of what to expect.  I do not
go for the competition but for the exposure and to educate the public. Winning is
ok, but not really the goal. There are a lot of fine irises usually, and only one
gets to win. Sometimes it is clear-cut and sometimes not. It doesn't matter all
that much. I would not go through that work for a ribbon or a pair of pruners.
Their show did state it was open to the public, just nothing about prizes. I had
called ahead, being forewarned about timing and such by others I know who had
shown. I am happy when I hear that such things are not common, that would do a lot
of harm if it were. And it is neat to see the finest specimens of irises and great
that folks have a venue to display them and be recognized as being able to produce
such excellence. I have a fairly thick skin, I was just pointing out why there are
some who are not into the show thing.

We had a couple of members who were so rude to the public about touching the
irises or even being around them that it was painful. Yelling and screeching
painful. There are ways to say things politely.  Since that first event I did join
AIS, and I was a local club member at the time.
I know all clubs are not that way, thankfully in the minority. I am not anti-show
either, although there are negative aspects that come out at times when
competition is involved.  There were some absolutely great people in our club too.
You know the saying, a few bad apples...    All in all, little if any of this was
visible to the public.

John Bruce