TB: Irises only grown for showing?

As I have not read the original comments I don't really know what has transpired on this thread, but will just put in my two penneth:

I grow irises because I love them in my garden when they are in bloom. I also grow them to hybridise, and I think it would have been the hybridising side of things that got me into it in such a big way. I was eventually convinced to show them and reluctantly at that. Now I enjoy it. I do win lots of sections with my medians and PCI's but it is not a big deal and I often won't cut my best as they have been pollenated.
I think in a survey it very much matters how a question is asked.
If I was asked "Do you grow irises only for the show" I would translate that as meaning the wonderful show they give you in your own garden. Now I know many, many people who DO grow them simply for that reason, but I also grow them to hybridises.
If I was asked do I grow irises only to show at an iris or horticultural show, I MIGHT translate that as meaning as opposed to selling them or hybridising them. I can understand how the showies might then say YES, when they simply meant they did not sell them or hybridises them, or make potpourri from the rhizomes, or whatever.
Smeone else asked why then do these people grow irises only for showing..... which I took to mean "and not something else?". My answer to that would have to be "Why not?". I am sure there are many people who make quite a different choice, but if you are talking to people at iris shows, you will mainly be talking to those that grow irises.
Getting confused myself now, so I'll go ....
Cheers, Jan in Aus, where I dreamt of irises blooming out of season last night.